Pages

Friday, February 03, 2006

Cajun Rice & Beans with Mango Salsa

This recipe is one of my recent faves. It's actually a vegan recipe, but I didn't even realize it was vegan until my wonderful hubbie pointed it out to me (come to think of it, I'm actually not sure about the Lipton's mix). I think it's fabulous, but he thinks it's a bit too "veggie." To each his own, as they say...and I say, more for me!

Approximate cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
For the rice mixture:
Lipton's Red Beans and Rice mix (I know, not too creative a start for a fabulous recipe!)
1/2 large red onion
1/2 lb. frozen peas
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

For the mango salsa:
1 mango
1/4 red onion
1 small can chopped pineapple
1 tsp. dried cilantro
2 plum tomatoes
approximately 1 tsp. salt, to taste
approximately 2 tsp. sugar, to taste

Directions
Make the Lipton Red Beans and Rice according to the package directions. While the water and butter begin to cook, start the chopping. Dice the onion, the mango, and the tomatoes into smallish pieces. Finely dice the chipotle pepper(s).

At this point, the rice and beans should be about halfway cooked. Add the chipotle peppers and 2/3 of the chopped onion to the rice and then let that all keep simmering while you prepare the salsa. Combine the first five salsa ingredients and stir. Add the salt and sugar little by little, until it tastes good.

The rice and beans should be about done by now. Add the frozen peas, and voila! Serve the rice and beans with the mango salso on the side.

No comments: