Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tip of the Day - Croissant Sandwiches


This isn't so much of a recipe as it is random information that I find to be interesting. While I realize others may not find my interests even remotely stimulating, this is my blog and therefore you are stuck with my ramblings. Since, as I mentioned, this is not technically a recipe, I'm calling it a "tip of the day." And here it is...cheese, eggs, and bread freeze well.

I know, not mind-boggling information, but it can come in quite handy if, say, you really like to enjoy croissant breakfast sandwiches prior to your work day, you're too cheap to purchase them from a fast-food joint, and the only cooking tools at your disposal are a toaster oven and a microwave (ok, you caught me...I'm referring to my personal situation). Well, not to worry -- you can prepare numerous croissant breakfast sandwiches at one time, freeze them, and then reheat them in aforementioned cooking tools!

Here's the scoop. You can purchase eggs-in-the-carton, croissants, Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties (have I mentioned that I'm a pescetarian?), and individually wrapped cheese slices from your bulk foods store (a/k/a Costco, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to say that here. Wait, I just did. Oops.). Fry up the eggs in sandwich-sized batches and set them aside on a plate to cool. When they are cool, place a sliced croissant, slice of cheese, sausage patty, and the egg into a sandwich bag (it helps for later separation if the egg is between the plastic baggie and the plastic wrapped sliced cheese). And into the freezer they go.

If you just use the cheapo sandwich bags (although stick with the zipped topped variety), it will usually take at least a month until they get freezer burned. If you splurge on the freezer variety, they'll stay a bit longer. When you're ready for your sandwich, pull all of the ingredients out of the bag and place the egg and the sausage patty onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave them for one-minute, and then check to see if they're done. If not, microwave a bit longer until they're no longer frozen. Meanwhile, toast the croissant in the toaster oven. When the egg/sausage is warmed, you'll probably need to blot it a bit with a paper towel (I'm not sure where all the water comes from, but it definitely appears during the thawing process). Put the frozen slice of cheese on the egg and microwave for another 10 seconds.

After your croissant is toasted, layer all of the ingredients and voila! As good as any fast-food joint, and way cheaper.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Now I am ALL for 'do aheads' as we the boys and I take off in three different directions each day from the get go....lunches are a MUST and breakfast on the run...a result of the lifestyle. Good post.

I just popped in to see who I am sharing the honor of top five foodie blogroll with. Take care...good luck on the blog...looks good!

Aubree said...

Thanks, Trish! I love do-aheads myself. When I have time to cook, I can enjoy it and make lots of food, and when I don't...it's ready to eat!