Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Grilled Honey-Soy Glazed Tofu with Toasted Coconut and Mango Salsa

Could be the longest name for a food, ever. But it deserves each and every adjective, as they all combine to make this dish a sweet-savory wonder! If you're vegan, you can swap out the honey with light corn syrup or any type of sugar you prefer (add some water, if necessary). The mango salsa that I used for my shrimp this past weekend went with this tofu so perfectly, I had to repeat it for this recipe. The original blog about the salsa is here.

Ingredients
firm tofu, cut into strips
1 T. sesame oil
2 t. soy sauce
2 t. honey
salt, to taste (kosher if you've got it)
coconut (about 1/4 of a bag)
mango salsa

Directions
Mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and salt, adjusting the amounts until it takes sweet and/or salty enough for you. I like all of my food on the salty side and am therefore a poor judge, but you probably want to at least add a light coat of salt to the tofu prior to grilling them. Coat you indoor grill pan with cooking spray, turn it on medium-high, and let it heat up until a drop of water sizzles off within three seconds. Toss the tofu on in there, being sure to have only one layer of tofu onthe grill at a time so the tofu gets a bit of a char on it. While the tofu is grilling, glaze it liberally with the honey-soy glaze.

After all of the tofu is grilled, spread the coconut in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and toast them up for 7-9 minutes in a 350-degree oven. Place them on a plate, and layer the tofu on top of them. Serve with mango salsa on the side. Here's a photo of my plate, but the photo does not do the dish justice. I'll be sure to get my camera out before I start eating the food next time!

4 comments:

Marnee Bailey said...

This sounds good, though I would skip the tofu and sub something tastier like chicken. Yum. Chicken.

Terri Osburn said...

I'm with Marn. LOL! I don't think I'd even know where to buy tofu. And my fridge would spit it out anyway.

Marnee Bailey said...

LOL! Aubree can make stuff without tofu. She just chooses to weird it all up.

Seriously though, tofu's not so bad, unless it's trying to pass as a turkey. Then it's just a sad imitator of it's more tasty competitor.

Aubree said...

Thanks for your comment, Terrio! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I'm such a flake when it comes to blogging. (Marn, I know what you're thinking...we'll keep it to ourselves that my flakiness might not be limited to blogs). :)

Seriously, though...tofu's better than you might think. Especially deep-fried. Of course, that may have a slightly detrimental affect on its health benefits...